Monday, July 15, 2013

inspections

obviously, i didn't need your normal house inspection telling me that i need a new roof, plumbing, electricity, etc.  however, i did get a few people's opinions before going forward.  thankfully, mark shearman (great guy who rehabs houses in fishtown/kensington), walked through the house with me before i decided on my offer price and he did this at the last minute...thank-you mark!  
after confirmation from a few people in the 'know,' i made my offer (won't bore you with the details) and it was accepted.  working in the architectural field for a few years and making costly mistakes on my current house, i knew i had to do this one right.  the first person i hired after my offer was accepted was a structural engineer, amy rivera from rivera structural design. my previous firm, studio agoos lovera (www.agooslovera.com) worked with amy on numerous residential projects.  amy knew the urgency of my situation (because i only had a limited time to rescind my offer if the structural inspection was dire) and she turned around the report in less than a week!  results:  nothing major!!... that i didn't already know except for the front facade bellowing a bit which i negotiated later with the sellers.  

the last inspection, my realtor, michael garden, stressed i should do...termite inspection.  i was under the impression of how much damage can termites do especially when a good portion of the house was being demo'd.  i gave in & the termite consultant (need to get his name), also rushed to do an inspection on the last day allowed for contingencies... $85 and no termites....totally worth it for the peace of mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment